Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #5171  
Old 19-09-2011, 14:26
neo15's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2008
Posts: 566
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmc1988 View Post
I agree with the point that, in formal writing, we should avoid to use personal pronoun such as: I,we, they... However, this doesn't mean that we never use them, especially when you have to give your own opinion in your essay (because of the essay question).
The essay given above proves that we can use some phrases like "myself...". It didn't affect to the formality of your essay.

How can you give your opinion with the question " do you agree or disagree" ?
some of my proffs dont like students to use pronouns like "I" or "we"
therefore i always ask them bofore writing any papers. however, with the tests like TOEFL and SAT, using "I" or "we" is okay, as far as i know
__________________
Yêu thì trong sáng còn phang thì trong tối
Reply With Quote
  #5172  
Old 19-09-2011, 14:32
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Since 2001
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 11,602
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'or''=' View Post
It's a formal writing rule. Just 2 of the top results from Google
http://www.atech.org/faculty/bouchar...itingRules.pdf
http://vu.flare.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/en...es/rules_e.htm
You're studying science or engineering, right? Your teachers mainly assess your ideas, not your English or your writing style.
The first PDF file I don't know where it comes from and to what context it applies. But when it says "Do not use 'I'", something must be terribly wrong here. How can you write your essay without an "I" if the question is "Describe one of the best experience that you have had with your family" or "Use your own working experience to prove that XYZ is true."??

The second document is another story. It says
Quote:
4) Avoid personal "I", "you", and "we",
except for the thesis statement. So, instead of: "As I mentioned above...", write" "As was mentioned above..." "
which is another story and has nothing to do with what we are discussing here.
__________________
PlayStation Network: nestorvie (for GTA 5)
Reply With Quote
  #5173  
Old 19-09-2011, 18:16
caihanthoikhongde's Avatar
K.I.A
Join Date: 08-2011
Posts: 28
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

"they actually kiss the air"
what does it mean?
can you write Vietnamese if you answer my question ?
Reply With Quote
  #5174  
Old 19-09-2011, 19:09
Senior Member
Join Date: 03-2010
Posts: 1,102
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

@ Jay, my teacher is from the USA, and he said, in formal writing or academic writing, should not use pronouns like "I", "you",... And although it's your personal idea, the expression should be used objectively. For example, instead of using "As I mentioned above", you should write "As mentioned above".
Reply With Quote
  #5175  
Old 19-09-2011, 19:17
Senior Member
Join Date: 03-2010
Posts: 1,102
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by caihanthoikhongde View Post
"they actually kiss the air"
what does it mean?
can you write Vietnamese if you answer my question ?
Actually, I don't know how you don't understand the sentence, so how can I write the answer in Vietnamese in the way you can understand?
Reply With Quote
  #5176  
Old 19-09-2011, 19:25
Senior Member
Join Date: 03-2010
Posts: 1,102
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmc1988 View Post
I agree with the point that, in formal writing, we should avoid to use personal pronoun such as: I,we, they... However, this doesn't mean that we never use them, especially when you have to give your own opinion in your essay (because of the essay question).
The essay given above proves that we can use some phrases like "myself...". It didn't affect to the formality of your essay.

How can you give your opinion with the question " do you agree or disagree" ?
Avoid using, not avoid to use. You can agree or disagree, but you should write down your expressions objectively.As mentioned above.
@ jay could you tell me how to make spam legally here.
Reply With Quote
  #5177  
Old 19-09-2011, 19:48
hip_85's Avatar
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 08-2009
Posts: 667
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Hmm.Sound's weird.When you guys read the writing samples (Mat Clark author) , you'll find out that the author always keep using pronouns to express his ideas.
The problem here is that how you guys wrote essays, because pronouns are minor errors, comparing to another mistakes in the essay
And also there are plenty ways to "agree or disagree"
Reply With Quote
  #5178  
Old 19-09-2011, 20:25
caihanthoikhongde's Avatar
K.I.A
Join Date: 08-2011
Posts: 28
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Raider View Post
Actually, I don't know how you don't understand the sentence, so how can I write the answer in Vietnamese in the way you can understand?
send me a mes
i'm bad at studying Eng but my gf ask me what it mean . i search by google but i still don't know what it mean
Reply With Quote
  #5179  
Old 19-09-2011, 20:25
Tuancoltech.ver2's Avatar
K.I.A
Join Date: 11-2010
Posts: 299
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Raider View Post
Avoid using, not avoid to use. You can agree or disagree, but you should write down your expressions objectively.As mentioned above.
@ jay could you tell me how to make spam legally here.
Could you pls tell me what is the difference between "avoid using" and "avoid to use"? Thank you very much.
__________________
[QUOTE='[MGS]SNET;21428443']Rắn gì toàn đi giết người, rắn của em tạo ra con người mới hay! :sexy:[/QUOTE]


:rofl:
Reply With Quote
  #5180  
Old 19-09-2011, 20:57
Senior Member
Join Date: 03-2010
Posts: 1,102
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by caihanthoikhongde View Post
send me a mes
i'm bad at studying Eng but my gf ask me what it mean . i search by google but i still don't know what it mean
I see, but I don't have enough posts to send private messages.
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 22:08.