Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #5161  
Old 19-09-2011, 08:21
nmc1988's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 07-2007
Posts: 1,417
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'or''=' View Post
Obviously, you have to present your point of view, but not in that way.
If you read some 8.0 or above essay using those expressions, please enlighten me.
I will show you a evidence


Code:
Others, myself included, are of the opinion that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	band 9.jpg‎
Views:	44
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	466012  
__________________
[CENTER][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B][SIZE="2"]Nothing is Impossible[/SIZE][/B]![/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Reply With Quote
  #5162  
Old 19-09-2011, 10:34
'or''=''s Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2007
Posts: 2,225
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

^
And what? Is there anything to demonstrate that it would be an official >=8 essay?
May be you should try one of them and tell us the result, not necessarily >=8, >=7 is enough to prove your point.
__________________
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote
  #5163  
Old 19-09-2011, 10:45
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Since 2001
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 11,602
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Raider View Post
Well well well, any personal idea should not be used in any academic essay, not only IELTS.
There's nothing wrong to provide your personal opinions when the question is explicitly asking for it.

IELTS is just an English test anyway. Do not worry too much about the band 8, 9 issues while you can't even be sure to achieve band 7.
__________________
PlayStation Network: nestorvie (for GTA 5)
Reply With Quote
  #5164  
Old 19-09-2011, 10:48
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Since 2001
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 11,602
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'or''=' View Post
^
And what? Is there anything to demonstrate that it would be an official >=8 essay?
May be you should try one of them and tell us the result, not necessarily >=8, >=7 is enough to prove your point.
Can you just provide 1 reason why we can't give our own ideas in any academic essay that way?
__________________
PlayStation Network: nestorvie (for GTA 5)
Reply With Quote
  #5165  
Old 19-09-2011, 11:09
'or''=''s Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2007
Posts: 2,225
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Can you just provide 1 reason why we can't give our own ideas in any academic essay that way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'or''=' View Post
Obviously, you have to present your point of view, but not in that way.
I don't say that we can't give our own ideas. If they ask for your opinion, you have to express your opinion, but not by using "I", "my", "myself".
__________________
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote
  #5166  
Old 19-09-2011, 11:37
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Since 2001
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 11,602
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'or''=' View Post
I don't say that we can't give our own ideas. If they ask for your opinion, you have to express your opinion, but not by using "I", "my", "myself".
Why? any specific reason?

I used to say "I do believe that..." or "I don't think..." or "In my personal experience..." in my exam papers and it seems to be ok until now, still get A+ as normal.
__________________
PlayStation Network: nestorvie (for GTA 5)
Reply With Quote
  #5167  
Old 19-09-2011, 11:37
Tuancoltech.ver2's Avatar
K.I.A
Join Date: 11-2010
Posts: 299
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'or''=' View Post
I don't say that we can't give our own ideas. If they ask for your opinion, you have to express your opinion, but not by using "I", "my", "myself".
So you mean we have to use "Many people believe that..." or likewise when we are asked to express our own opinion?
__________________
[QUOTE='[MGS]SNET;21428443']Rắn gì toàn đi giết người, rắn của em tạo ra con người mới hay! :sexy:[/QUOTE]


:rofl:
Reply With Quote
  #5168  
Old 19-09-2011, 12:21
nmc1988's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 07-2007
Posts: 1,417
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'or''=' View Post
^
And what? Is there anything to demonstrate that it would be an official >=8 essay?
May be you should try one of them and tell us the result, not necessarily >=8, >=7 is enough to prove your point.
I only want to prove that you can give your own ideas in your essay. In addition, using I, myself... is okay

If you ask me about why the essay which I given above could get 9 score in IELTS test, you should email to Sam Mc Carter. He is a native English speaker, and the book's author.

To Jay, I dont care much about the IELTS score, i only want to give some useful phrases which I 've learned from some English books
__________________
[CENTER][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B][SIZE="2"]Nothing is Impossible[/SIZE][/B]![/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Reply With Quote
  #5169  
Old 19-09-2011, 12:24
'or''=''s Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2007
Posts: 2,225
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Why? any specific reason?

I used to say "I do believe that..." or "I don't think..." or "In my personal experience..." in my exam papers and it seems to be ok until now, still get A+ as normal.
It's a formal writing rule. Just 2 of the top results from Google
http://www.atech.org/faculty/bouchar...itingRules.pdf
http://vu.flare.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/en...es/rules_e.htm
You're studying science or engineering, right? Your teachers mainly assess your ideas, not your English or your writing style.
__________________
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote
  #5170  
Old 19-09-2011, 13:14
nmc1988's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 07-2007
Posts: 1,417
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'or''=' View Post
It's a formal writing rule. Just 2 of the top results from Google
http://www.atech.org/faculty/bouchar...itingRules.pdf
http://vu.flare.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/en...es/rules_e.htm
You're studying science or engineering, right? Your teachers mainly assess your ideas, not your English or your writing style.
I agree with the point that, in formal writing, we should avoid to use personal pronoun such as: I,we, they... However, this doesn't mean that we never use them, especially when you have to give your own opinion in your essay (because of the essay question).
The essay given above proves that we can use some phrases like "myself...". It didn't affect to the formality of your essay.

How can you give your opinion with the question " do you agree or disagree" ?
__________________
[CENTER][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B][SIZE="2"]Nothing is Impossible[/SIZE][/B]![/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 22:54.