Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2871  
Old 30-07-2010, 14:15
Paladin.'s Avatar
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 04-2008
Posts: 4,449
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos View Post
Can anyone here tell me whether these sentences are right or wrong?

"My friends and I are now driving to Nha Trang. This is our second longest summer vacation since we left our university and we have enjoyed every single minute of it."
[(My friends and I) = we ] are now driving to Nha Trang. This is our second longest summer vacation since we left our university and we have enjoyed every single minute of it."

The above sentence is totally correct.
__________________
[SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][COLOR=Black](Arthas to Sylvanas) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][B][SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]After all you've put me through, woman, the last thing I'll give you is the peace of death.[/COLOR] [/SIZE][/B]
Reply With Quote
  #2872  
Old 30-07-2010, 14:16
'or''=''s Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2007
Posts: 2,225
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

I've never mistaken pros for cons, but yesterday when I talked to my teacher, I used prostitution instead of constitution.
__________________
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote
  #2873  
Old 30-07-2010, 14:16
Paladin.'s Avatar
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 04-2008
Posts: 4,449
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'or''=' View Post
I've never mistaken pros for cons, but yesterday when I talked to my teacher, I used prostitution instead of constitution.
nice shot
__________________
[SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][COLOR=Black](Arthas to Sylvanas) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][B][SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]After all you've put me through, woman, the last thing I'll give you is the peace of death.[/COLOR] [/SIZE][/B]
Reply With Quote
  #2874  
Old 30-07-2010, 14:35
Atomos's Avatar
Member
Join Date: 08-2008
Posts: 70
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin. View Post
[(My friends and I) = we ] are now driving to Nha Trang. This is our second longest summer vacation since we left our university and we have enjoyed every single minute of it."

The above sentence is totally correct.
Well, I know that part is correct. However, what I'm having trouble with is the part "every single minute of it"

Should we say "every single minute of its" instead? Because I think we need a possessive pronoun here (its) to replace the already mentioned "summer vacation". It's just like when we say "the books of mine", "the computer of yours".

What makes me even more surprised here is the fact that I googled the phrase "every single minute of it" and it appears EVERYWHERE which means it's a very popular phrase. I continued to google "every single minute of its" and guess what, NOONE uses that! I'm really confused!

So, I want to ask, between the two phrases, which is more grammatically correct? And no, I don't really consider Google search results to be a reliable source.
Reply With Quote
  #2875  
Old 30-07-2010, 17:47
tranthanhtuanvn's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 02-2010
Posts: 492
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin. View Post
nice shot
that's frickin' hot
__________________
[QUOTE=ply;47253687]mình và gấu đang *** nhau, mình đột nhiên dừng lại kể cho gấu nghe về căng thẳng trong mối quan hệ Liên Triều, về tranh chấp giữa TQ và Philippin tại bãi ngầm Scaborough/Hoàng Nham, về phiên họp QH thứ 3 kỳ 13... Gấu ậm ừ vài câu rồi lại ấn vào lưng mình "thôi *** tiếp đi" thế là mình im bặt và lại tiếp tục ***[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #2876  
Old 30-07-2010, 20:47
kazelam's Avatar
K.I.A
Join Date: 03-2008
Posts: 207
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos View Post
Can anyone here tell me whether these sentences are right or wrong?

"My friends and I are now driving to Nha Trang. This is our second longest summer vacation since we left our university and we have enjoyed every single minute of it."
I still do not understand these tense. Can anyone help me explaning it?
__________________
Watashi wa fushigina pokke ga hoshii da.
Reply With Quote
  #2877  
Old 30-07-2010, 21:18
Wise Blue's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 05-2010
Posts: 11,500
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazelam View Post
I still do not understand these tense. Can anyone help me explaning it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos
Can anyone here tell me whether these sentences are right or wrong?

"My friends and I are now driving to Nha Trang. This is our second longest summer vacation since we left our university and we have enjoyed every single minute of it."
aaaaaaaah,finish hanging myself........so good

The sentence above should be "we enjoy" rather than "we have enjoyed",right ?
__________________
#0932157445 lừa đảo
#0932157445 Huỳnh Tấn Phú Bình Định
#0932157445 Huynh Tan Phu Binh Dinh
Reply With Quote
  #2878  
Old 30-07-2010, 22:34
Atomos's Avatar
Member
Join Date: 08-2008
Posts: 70
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazelam View Post
I still do not understand these tense. Can anyone help me explaning it?
* My friends and I are now driving to Nha Trang.

It literally means "We are on our way to Nha Trang (we go by car)." Present Continuous must be used because the action is progressing at the moment of speaking.

* we have enjoyed every single minute of it.

The action began in the past (we started enjoying it since the beginning of the vacation) and it's still continuing at the moment of speaking (we haven't stopped enjoying it yet). In this case, the Present Perfect is the only approriate tense.

BTW, can anybody here shed some light on "every single minute of it?"
Reply With Quote
  #2879  
Old 31-07-2010, 11:44
plot's Avatar
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 11-2006
Posts: 12,122
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

How about my poem?
Reply With Quote
  #2880  
Old 31-07-2010, 12:54
Paladin.'s Avatar
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 04-2008
Posts: 4,449
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos View Post
Well, I know that part is correct. However, what I'm having trouble with is the part "every single minute of it"

Should we say "every single minute of its" instead? Because I think we need a possessive pronoun here (its) to replace the already mentioned "summer vacation". It's just like when we say "the books of mine", "the computer of yours".

What makes me even more surprised here is the fact that I googled the phrase "every single minute of it" and it appears EVERYWHERE which means it's a very popular phrase. I continued to google "every single minute of its" and guess what, NOONE uses that! I'm really confused!

So, I want to ask, between the two phrases, which is more grammatically correct? And no, I don't really consider Google search results to be a reliable source.
"Every single minute of it" is correct here.
Because "it" here stands for "the trip" => "every single minute of the trip" forms a full meaning phrase.
There is no point using possessive pronoun in this case: "its" => what possession of what?
__________________
[SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][COLOR=Black](Arthas to Sylvanas) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][B][SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]After all you've put me through, woman, the last thing I'll give you is the peace of death.[/COLOR] [/SIZE][/B]
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 19:03.