Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2191  
Old 16-06-2010, 11:34
yulong's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2008
Posts: 418
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannomiya View Post
I would say that again, mate. You will see how important grammar is when you have to read highly complex textbook or when you do some translation.
It's an example. Sometimes the author leaves a grammar mistake IN PURPOSE. If you're not sure about whether it's incorrect or not, how can you understand it?
Reply With Quote
  #2192  
Old 16-06-2010, 11:43
Senior Member
Join Date: 12-2009
Posts: 806
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulong View Post
It's an example. Sometimes the author leaves a grammar mistake IN PURPOSE. If you're not sure about whether it's incorrect or not, how can you understand it?
Sorry, sir. I do not know what i did wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #2193  
Old 16-06-2010, 11:48
yulong's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2008
Posts: 418
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannomiya View Post
Sorry, sir. I do not know what i did wrong?
I was talking to bacpp lol, just a more detailed example of yours.
Reply With Quote
  #2194  
Old 16-06-2010, 11:49
Senior Member
Join Date: 12-2009
Posts: 806
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulong View Post
1. Except. "But" and "except" mean "ngoại trừ" and "instead of" means "thay vì"
But "leave" should be "leaving" or "to leave", either it's a mistake from the test or you remembered it wrong.
But hey, what did the test ask you to do?
In this case, it must be "but", no doubt about this. Nothing...but ...is the set expression. "Except" or anything else is not correct here. Except for that, the sentence is OK.
Reply With Quote
  #2195  
Old 16-06-2010, 12:12
yulong's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2008
Posts: 418
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannomiya View Post
In this case, i must be "but", no doubt about this. Nothing...but ...is the set expression. "Except" or anything else is not correct here. Except for that, the sentence is OK.
As far as I know, in any case, "but" can be replaced with "except"
Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #2196  
Old 16-06-2010, 12:25
Senior Member
Join Date: 12-2009
Posts: 806
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulong View Post
As far as I know, in any case, "but" can be replaced with "except"
Am I wrong?
In almost all of the cases, you are right. In this sentence only, i am afraid...
This is one of the questions in previous years' university entrance exam and I have no doubt about this.
Reply With Quote
  #2197  
Old 16-06-2010, 12:35
Daviath.'s Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 02-2010
Posts: 1,426
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulong View Post
1. Except. "But" and "except" mean "ngoại trừ" and "instead of" means "thay vì"
But "leave" should be "leaving" or "to leave", either it's a mistake from the test or you remembered it wrong.
But hey, what did the test ask you to do?
yeah I know but I think it should be "instead of", In my opinion the situation in the sentence forced "they" to leave the car. Or in Vietnamese "Họ k làm được j thay cho (ngoài) việc rời khỏi chiếc xe"...
Reply With Quote
  #2198  
Old 16-06-2010, 12:39
yulong's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2008
Posts: 418
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviath. View Post
yeah I know but I think it should be "instead of", In my opinion the situation in the sentence forced "they" to leave the car. Or in Vietnamese "Họ k làm được j thay cho (ngoài) việc rời khỏi chiếc xe"...
You still have to use that meaning
And the most important thing: I still haven't known what the test asked you to do
Reply With Quote
  #2199  
Old 16-06-2010, 13:21
Daviath.'s Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 02-2010
Posts: 1,426
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Họ k làm được j thay cho (ngoài) việc rời khỏi chiếc xe
But what is the difference between the red and the green? It have the same meaning?

p/s: My test is 2009 university entrance examination. I have to chose 1 in 4 answers
Reply With Quote
  #2200  
Old 16-06-2010, 13:40
yulong's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2008
Posts: 418
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviath. View Post
But what is the difference between the red and the green? It have the same meaning?

p/s: My test is 2009 university entrance examination. I have to chose 1 in 4 answers
• They're not the same bro

Instead of leaving the car, they did nothing. ---> The result is: They did nothing.
They did nothing but leaving the car. ----> The result is: They left the car.

• I meant were you asked to replace the bold word with a different one or else?
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 18:24.