Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2181  
Old 15-06-2010, 23:22
yulong's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2008
Posts: 418
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

It's practising level
Reply With Quote
  #2182  
Old 16-06-2010, 00:08
bacpp's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 01-2010
Posts: 1,123
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulong View Post
It's practising level
Then hearing only is the 1st, not Eng sub (it's even worse)

When you watch movie with sub (subtitle), you can see text clearly BEFORE you listen, you have time to translate, to predict what they would say even they haven't said it yet,... These advantages don't exist in real life. So, it's will damage your listening skill. Trust me.

You can do this test. While watching movie with English subtitle, please focus on screen for a while, don't look at the sub. You'll immediately feel different.

//omg, above is one of my longest documents which I have ever written in English before Please check and report mistake for me
__________________
[color=#F0F0F5].[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #2183  
Old 16-06-2010, 02:01
yulong's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2008
Posts: 418
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacpp View Post
Then hearing only is the 1st, not Eng sub (it's even worse)

When you watch movie with sub (subtitle), you can see text clearly BEFORE you listen, you have time to translate, to predict what they would say even they haven't said it yet,... These advantages don't exist in real life. So, it's will damage your listening skill. Trust me.

You can do this test. While watching movie with English subtitle, please focus on screen for a while, don't look at the sub. You'll immediately feel different.

//omg, above is one of my longest documents which I have ever written in English before Please check and report mistake for me
I think listening without sub is the last step, once you've mastered it, you're a pro. A beginner shouldn't try doing this
Btw, I hightlighted some mistakes, not to mention articles missing
Reply With Quote
  #2184  
Old 16-06-2010, 08:39
bacpp's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 01-2010
Posts: 1,123
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulong View Post
I think listening without sub is the last step, once you've mastered it, you're a pro. A beginner shouldn't try doing this
Btw, I hightlighted some mistakes, not to mention articles missing
If you go strait to hearing only step, of course you may not understand everything, but you'll be familiar with English. When you are in free time or don't need silence, leave your TV on with CNN, Discovery channel, it helps too.

The point of listening is understanding, not to type what others say. So don't be too serious in grammar.
__________________
[color=#F0F0F5].[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #2185  
Old 16-06-2010, 10:39
Paladin.'s Avatar
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 04-2008
Posts: 4,449
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Almost students in our country have problem with speaking & listening, but actually these two problems just come from one same root: pronunciation.

With the film & subtitle this problem can be gradually solved. You see the word, you hear the word. Your brain will do the rest of the job in comparing & storing them in your memory.

After a while, you can turn off the subtitle but still can recognize the word you hear. Listening problem is solved.
When you speak, you know how to say the word, how to spell it, and you don't feel scare, feel shy, feel confusing anymore.
Speaking problem is solved also!

That's a conditional reaction.
Mere science!
__________________
[SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][COLOR=Black](Arthas to Sylvanas) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][B][SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]After all you've put me through, woman, the last thing I'll give you is the peace of death.[/COLOR] [/SIZE][/B]
Reply With Quote
  #2186  
Old 16-06-2010, 11:09
Daviath.'s Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 02-2010
Posts: 1,426
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

I just have a test with the last-year-university-entrance-examination, and I have many stupid mistake, but there're some sentences I cant understand:
1. There was no thing they could do but leave the car at the roadside where it has broken down
My choice is instead of
2. Only when you grow up will you know the truth
My one is you will know
3. "I'd rather you went home now"
go

Explain to me please
Thanks in advance
1 more question, is it "explain me" or "explain to me" ?
Reply With Quote
  #2187  
Old 16-06-2010, 11:18
yulong's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2008
Posts: 418
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacpp View Post
If you go strait to hearing only step, of course you may not understand everything, but you'll be familiar with English. When you are in free time or don't need silence, leave your TV on with CNN, Discovery channel, it helps too.

The point of listening is understanding, not to type what others say. So don't be too serious in grammar.
@ the orange text: Maybe you've got a wrong understanding of how bad our BEGINNERs are with sub, my younger brother understands only 40-50% of the movies I gave him (He was born in 1993 and is going to graduate from high school next year). And I know one thing that he's better than lots of my friends in technology universities (HUT, HUNS, LQĐTU). Imagine what they can get without sub

@ the red one: A great idea! Haven't tried before but i'm sure it helps a lot!

@ black one: Perfect your grammar, it's important, believe me.
Reply With Quote
  #2188  
Old 16-06-2010, 11:22
Senior Member
Join Date: 12-2009
Posts: 806
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviath. View Post
I just have a test with the last-year-university-entrance-examination, and I have many stupid mistake, but there're some sentences I cant understand:
1. There was no thing they could do but leave the car at the roadside where it has broken down
My choice is instead of
2. Only when you grow up will you know the truth
My one is you will know
3. "I'd rather you went home now"
go

Explain to me please
Thanks in advance
1 more question, is it "explain me" or "explain to me" ?
They are all fixed expressions, man. You should check your textbooks for these types of sentences.
Explain smt to smb.
Reply With Quote
  #2189  
Old 16-06-2010, 11:25
Senior Member
Join Date: 12-2009
Posts: 806
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulong View Post
@ the orange text: Maybe you've got a wrong understanding of how bad our BEGINNERs are with sub, my younger brother understands only 40-50% of the movies I gave him (He was born in 1993 and is going to graduate from high school next year). And I know one thing that he's better than lots of my friends in technology universities (HUT, HUNS, LQĐTU). Imagine what they can get without sub

@ the red one: A great idea! Haven't tried before but i'm sure it helps a lot!

@ black one: Perfect your grammar, it's important, believe me.
I would say that again, mate. You will see how important grammar is when you have to read highly complex textbook or when you do some translation.
Reply With Quote
  #2190  
Old 16-06-2010, 11:29
yulong's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2008
Posts: 418
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviath. View Post
I just have a test with the last-year-university-entrance-examination, and I have many stupid mistake, but there're some sentences I cant understand:
1. There was no thing they could do but leave the car at the roadside where it has broken down
My choice is instead of
2. Only when you grow up will you know the truth
My one is you will know
3. "I'd rather you went home now"
go

Explain to me please
Thanks in advance
1 more question, is it "explain me" or "explain to me" ?
1. Except. "But" and "except" mean "ngoại trừ" and "instead of" means "thay vì"
But "leave" should be "leaving" or "to leave", either it's a mistake from the test or you remembered it wrong.
But hey, what did the test ask you to do?
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 21:58.