Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #3441  
Old 24-12-2010, 19:26
Wise Blue's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 05-2010
Posts: 11,500
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

i have seen this poem long ago....i deleted it after one click anw :">
Reply With Quote
  #3442  
Old 25-12-2010, 16:41
babyB0Y's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 2,152
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

That poem is quite interesting but too long to read . . .
Reply With Quote
  #3443  
Old 26-12-2010, 01:26
'or''=''s Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2007
Posts: 2,225
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

I saw this picture for the first time when I got a placement test at ACET.
It was next to a 7.5 IELTS test report form of an ACET student.
At that time I was not so confident in my English, but I said for a joke that one day I would get a band score of more than 7.5.
It's really nice to recall that moment.
Do you guys have this picture in higher resolution?

__________________
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote
  #3444  
Old 26-12-2010, 01:41
Atomos's Avatar
Member
Join Date: 08-2008
Posts: 70
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
it doesn't seem right to me. For your 2nd example, I would have said "I forgot that I've closed the door".
Neither does your sentence seem right to me. Instead, I would say, "I forgot that I HAD closed the door" or "I forgot having closed the door." Forget + V-ing is mostly used when you want to say that you can't/don't remember doing something in the past.

As a side note, there's nothing wrong with the sentence "I forgot closing the door" as it literally means "I forgot that I closed the door." While this one is less preferable in which it does not explicitly tell us about the order of the action, it's still perfectly acceptable.

P/s: I totally agree with Wise Blue's examples & explanation, which are, in fact, from Mister Micawber on English-tests.
Quote:
The gerund is not as often used. It gives a slightly different meaning to "forget". In this construction, the idea is that there is no hope of doing something, that one may as well abandon the prospect of doing it. In this structure, "can" is usually used with "forget".
While this usage does exist, it is not necessarily the only one of the structure "forget + v-ing."
Reply With Quote
  #3445  
Old 27-12-2010, 10:57
manhcuong301's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 01-2010
Posts: 2,074
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphu View Post
Let's take a break with this poem. Cool, is it not?


Source: http://viettorrent.vn/forum/showthread.php?t=2112
great, thanks you.
__________________
[COLOR="Silver"][B][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Pink"][COLOR="SlateGray"]I love... the way you are[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #3446  
Old 27-12-2010, 18:46
Wise Blue's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 05-2010
Posts: 11,500
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

@'or''='

i like the picture
Reply With Quote
  #3447  
Old 27-12-2010, 20:32
chiphu's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 11-2006
Posts: 7,792
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'or''=' View Post
Do you guys have this picture in higher resolution?
_http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3553/3666122170_e50483ff28.jpg
Sorry, but I got it in lower res than you expect
__________________
[QUOTE=skillmax15;79880557]Ku Vision thì đại loại là nó hiểu biết mọi chuyện. Ko tà tâm, ko toan tính, vì lợi ích không của bản thân. Cũng xứng đáng. :byebye:[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #3448  
Old 27-12-2010, 20:53
Senior Member
Join Date: 04-2010
Posts: 247
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Neither does your sentence seem right to me. Instead, I would say, "I forgot that I HAD closed the door" or "I forgot having closed the door." Forget + V-ing is mostly used when you want to say that you can't/don't remember doing something in the past.
You mean "I forgot having the door closed"?
Reply With Quote
  #3449  
Old 27-12-2010, 21:02
chiphu's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 11-2006
Posts: 7,792
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiln View Post
You mean "I forgot having the door closed"?
I don't know what you two are talking about but this sentence of yours is supposed to mean that I forgot to have/ask someone to close the door for me.
__________________
[QUOTE=skillmax15;79880557]Ku Vision thì đại loại là nó hiểu biết mọi chuyện. Ko tà tâm, ko toan tính, vì lợi ích không của bản thân. Cũng xứng đáng. :byebye:[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #3450  
Old 28-12-2010, 10:17
Atomos's Avatar
Member
Join Date: 08-2008
Posts: 70
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiln View Post
You mean "I forgot having the door closed"?
No, I mean exactly what I said, which is "I forgot having closed the door."
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 20:50.