Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1151  
Old 20-03-2009, 18:17
yaibakt's Avatar
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 01-2007
Posts: 19,011
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicornboy View Post
How's about this?
2. They must've been in traffic jam.
3. I never, and will never, forget that winter, when I we had to...

I'd rather use the present tense to affirm sth.
should say the 2nd one like this:
They must've got a traffic jam.
__________________
[RIGHT][B][COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="1"][I]người về đấy có thấy gió bay trên môi không...[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/RIGHT]
Reply With Quote
  #1152  
Old 20-03-2009, 19:13
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Since 2001
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 11,602
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcorvn View Post
@Truly_enjoying_game: U keep talking about advanced English, and you don't even know which word means [or has similar meaning] "cao siêu"? lol [in fact, i dont really understand your "Eh" ? "Eh" means English, am I right? I've never seen anyone use "Eh" like that]
Well, I'm not good at English, my English's bad and is becoming worse and worse. I'm not sure that I can understand simple sentences, so dont use advanced English with me okay xD
Btw, Would you be good enough to explain to me what is the difference between these prepositional phrases: good at and good in?
Which of the following is correct?
1) She was the best in the class in Greek, but in mathematics and biology she was not so good
2) She was the best in the class at Greek, but in mathematics and biology she was not so good

To be good at and to be good in are often interchangeable and there is no easy rule to follow, so I'm a little confusing abt it @_@
take this:

good at fcking
v.s.
good in bedroom
__________________
PlayStation Network: nestorvie (for GTA 5)
Reply With Quote
  #1153  
Old 20-03-2009, 19:13
emtraisieunhan's Avatar
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 5,065
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRULY_ENJOYING_GAME View Post
What you all try to do now? I am the topic now? You've welcome!
(And when you all finish, I will have new names for you all too, fair?)
Your turn to share now, pls!
srrr, what? You're a donkey now huh...?
__________________
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]Trò chơi nhập vai thực tế - 5D Escape Room[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Navy"][B]www.weescape.vn[/B][/COLOR]
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]fb/weescapevn[/COLOR]- [COLOR="DarkGreen"]https://plus.google.com/+WeescapeVn[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote
  #1154  
Old 20-03-2009, 19:19
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Since 2001
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 11,602
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRULY_ENJOYING_GAME View Post
I did mean the 2nd & 3rd...


perfect translation. (same as the teacher, my teacher.)
yep, I make "English" in short: Eh.



This is from the teacher: (not from me, of course!)
2. "They must have been delayed by having traffic." (must -> đoán, dự đoán, có lẽ. must have -> đoán,... (ở quá khứ))
3. "I have never forgotten and will never forget that winter, the winter when we had to eat plant roots to survive."

What you all try to do now? I am the topic now? You've welcome!
(And when you all finish, I will have new names for you all too, fair?)
Your turn to share now, pls!
funny mate, your teacher copy 90% of my translation, only replaced 'would' with 'will'.

And damn it, you confused everyone with that 'Eh' thing.

The first sentence is very controversy, every one can say it in a very own way.
__________________
PlayStation Network: nestorvie (for GTA 5)
Reply With Quote
  #1155  
Old 20-03-2009, 23:40
unicornboy's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 08-2006
Posts: 532
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaibakt View Post
should say the 2nd one like this:
They must've got a traffic jam.
Then I think 'to be stuck' is better than 'get'. What ya think?
Reply With Quote
  #1156  
Old 21-03-2009, 09:23
yaibakt's Avatar
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 01-2007
Posts: 19,011
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicornboy View Post
Then I think 'to be stuck' is better than 'get'. What ya think?
actually, there is an expression "get a traffic jam" or "be caught by a traffic jam", so that's why i suggested that sentence. Moreover, the word "jam" already covered the meaning that you're stuck in something. feel free to correct me if im wrong, guys ^^
__________________
[RIGHT][B][COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="1"][I]người về đấy có thấy gió bay trên môi không...[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/RIGHT]
Reply With Quote
  #1157  
Old 21-03-2009, 09:41
unicornboy's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 08-2006
Posts: 532
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaibakt View Post
actually, there is an expression "get a traffic jam" or "be caught by a traffic jam", so that's why i suggested that sentence. Moreover, the word "jam" already covered the meaning that you're stuck in something. feel free to correct me if im wrong, guys ^^
I got this from longman dict. Please check _http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/traffic-jam
Reply With Quote
  #1158  
Old 21-03-2009, 19:56
Senior Member
Join Date: 08-2008
Posts: 185
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Originally Posted by unicornboy View Post
How's about this?
2. They must've been in traffic jam.
3. I never, and will never, forget that winter, when I we had to...

I'd rather use the present tense to affirm sth.
should say the 2nd one like this:
They must've got a traffic jam.

IMHO, both of these are correct, this describes one meaning by 2 different ways.
But Vietnamese doesn't have the exactly sentence like ' They must've been in a traffic jam', hence you feel this sentence's really ridiculous

We were stuck in a traffic jam for two hours.

In this case, the speaker want to stress on 'how terrible the traffic was', we still get the meaning they were stuck in a traffic jam.
Reply With Quote
  #1159  
Old 21-03-2009, 22:23
unicornboy's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 08-2006
Posts: 532
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank_commander View Post
In this case, the speaker want to stress on 'how terrible the traffic was', we still get the meaning they were stuck in a traffic jam.
The speaker wasn't stuck in the traffic jam, he/she was talking about others.
Reply With Quote
  #1160  
Old 21-03-2009, 23:18
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Since 2001
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 11,602
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

stop arguing, lets change topic.
__________________
PlayStation Network: nestorvie (for GTA 5)
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 13:38.