Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #9761  
Old 03-09-2012, 19:43
blackbuddha's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 10-2007
Posts: 2,958
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulScholes View Post
I really need Co Loa Citadel and Imperial Citadel of Thang Long's full history in English pls I have not founded any good links. Pls I have to present to my friends that Vietnam's ancient buildings were unique and were copied from other cultures. Thank you!
Oh boy, I don't think either Cổ Loa Citadel or the Imperial City of Thăng Long could serve as exemplary models of Vietnamese ancient architecture. This is partly due to the former being constructed in the era of legendary, or I shall say "mythical", dynasties while the latter hardly left any tangible evidence. Therefore, I suggest the Imperial City of Huế being your focal point. In fact, you might have better chance looking for related materials since, the Nguyễn dynasty marked the start of official diplomacy between Việt Nam and the Western civilisation.

For starter, look at this official description on the UNESCO website. For general architectural information, you might want to scourge this thread for some pointers but keep in mind that this is unofficial. In overall, due to its modest yet disturbing history, Vietnamese architecture, like its big brother - culture, hasn't yet acquired much attention and deserved discussion. As a result, the information that you're looking for might be hidden or lumped together with touristic and historical topic. Therefore, prepare to search hard for books with tags such as Vietnam, architecture, ancient, etc. at your local library. Besides, nothing beats the materials from its original source, especially in our case, so make ready for translation of excerpts from Vietnamese books to English.

Good luck.
__________________
[QUOTE][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][B]05/03/2013 - Welcome to adulthood.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Don't look at me! Void has filled me up and it will eat you up...[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #9762  
Old 04-09-2012, 00:34
Chilln's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 12-2011
Posts: 2,197
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulScholes View Post
I really need Co Loa Citadel and Imperial Citadel of Thang Long's full history in English pls I have not founded any good links. Pls I have to present to my friends that Vietnam's ancient buildings were unique and were copied from other cultures. Thank you!
I hope you forgot the word "not" between "were" and "copied". You might find this kind of information in the Architecture University, or else, the City Library.
Good luck and remember, your ancestor didnot lack of creativity.
__________________
It's been so long the Sun hasn't risen, the Birds see no sunshine
It's been a while Autumn hasn't come, only Winter with my hands are numbed.
Reply With Quote
  #9763  
Old 04-09-2012, 01:20
blackbuddha's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 10-2007
Posts: 2,958
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilln View Post
I hope you forgot the word "not" between "were" and "copied". You might find this kind of information in the Architecture University, or else, the City Library.
Good luck and remember, your ancestor didnot lack of creativity.
Thank you for reminding of this. I forgot to add it in my previous comment although I stand on the other side.

That is arguing the originality of ancient Vietnamese architecture is rather pointless. None of significant structures from the era of legendary dynasties managed to survive. Even Cổ Loa citadel, which was built in the wake of an infant recorded history, laid in ruins while In comparison, Qin Shi Huang's Imperial Tomb still stands firm and high. Given the approximate 10 centuries long of Chinese colonisation and assimilation, any effort of discarding Chinese influences is quite forceful. Decorative ornaments might have been localised and incorporated with local mythology but the reflection of the I Ching and feng shui studies on buildings is undeniable.

In short, our ancestors did steal but with creativity.
__________________
[QUOTE][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][B]05/03/2013 - Welcome to adulthood.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Don't look at me! Void has filled me up and it will eat you up...[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #9764  
Old 04-09-2012, 02:55
PaulScholes's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 04-2012
Posts: 572
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilln View Post
I hope you forgot the word "not" between "were" and "copied". You might find this kind of information in the Architecture University, or else, the City Library.
Good luck and remember, your ancestor didnot lack of creativity.
Excuse me I don't get this? I don't know but think they don't go well together base on my last post. I may be being dumb lol
Reply With Quote
  #9765  
Old 04-09-2012, 03:08
PaulScholes's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 04-2012
Posts: 572
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbuddha View Post
Oh boy, I don't think either Cổ Loa Citadel or the Imperial City of Thăng Long could serve as exemplary models of Vietnamese ancient architecture. This is partly due to the former being constructed in the era of legendary, or I shall say "mythical", dynasties while the latter hardly left any tangible evidence. Therefore, I suggest the Imperial City of Huế being your focal point. In fact, you might have better chance looking for related materials since, the Nguyễn dynasty marked the start of official diplomacy between Việt Nam and the Western civilisation.

For starter, look at this official description on the UNESCO website. For general architectural information, you might want to scourge this thread for some pointers but keep in mind that this is unofficial. In overall, due to its modest yet disturbing history, Vietnamese architecture, like its big brother - culture, hasn't yet acquired much attention and deserved discussion. As a result, the information that you're looking for might be hidden or lumped together with touristic and historical topic. Therefore, prepare to search hard for books with tags such as Vietnam, architecture, ancient, etc. at your local library. Besides, nothing beats the materials from its original source, especially in our case, so make ready for translation of excerpts from Vietnamese books to English.

Good luck.
So history says Co Loa was built in 200 something BCE is also a myth? Thought it was the first Lac Viet people major building(?).
Reply With Quote
  #9766  
Old 04-09-2012, 03:48
blackbuddha's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 10-2007
Posts: 2,958
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulScholes View Post
So history says Co Loa was built in 200 something BCE is also a myth? Thought it was the first Lac Viet people major building(?).
So I thought I'd made it clear in my 2nd post. Ok, I can do it all over.

Recorded history barely existed in Âu Lạc and Cổ Loa Citadel itself barely exists today. In fact, most Vietnamese people remember the mythical contribution of Kim Quy in the construction of the citadel rather than their History lessons. That fact, when being pitched against the popularity and researches about Qin Shi Huang's tomb which was built around the same era, should put the credibility of Cổ Loa Citadel in doubt.

In short, the Imperial City of Huế would be easier for you.
__________________
[QUOTE][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][B]05/03/2013 - Welcome to adulthood.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Don't look at me! Void has filled me up and it will eat you up...[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #9767  
Old 04-09-2012, 05:19
Senior Member
Join Date: 05-2012
Posts: 1,194
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Anyone here who is NOT vietnamese citizen?
Reply With Quote
  #9768  
Old 04-09-2012, 20:17
mark_bk's Avatar
K.I.A
Join Date: 08-2012
Posts: 300
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

nobody what do you want to look for
Reply With Quote
  #9769  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:07
delz's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 04-2012
Posts: 1,394
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Anyone here who is sexy chick ?
Reply With Quote
  #9770  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:33
blackbuddha's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 10-2007
Posts: 2,958
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by delz View Post
Anyone here who is sexy chick ?
__________________
[QUOTE][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][B]05/03/2013 - Welcome to adulthood.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Don't look at me! Void has filled me up and it will eat you up...[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 09:41.