Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #9421  
Old 06-08-2012, 12:37
Senior Member
Join Date: 06-2009
Posts: 457
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbuddha View Post
Damn, I still think the sentence sounds weird. About "1 km long", let me dissect it for you.

The component in question is a adjectival phrase by nature and intention. It can be decomposed unto:
  • "long" - the main adjective or the core of the component.
  • "1 km" - the noun phrase acting a the attribute for the core above.
Hence, by keeping this order, "1 km long" is used to describe the river. If you switch the order of the elements, the component transforms into a pure noun phrase and its meaning is altered. E.g. "She kept moaning how it was a long 1 km"

I hope that helps your enquiry.
Thanks a lot, man! I get it now, the whole "1 km long" function as an adjective. So, I think it goes the same for the sentence "he is 2 years old", which "2 years old" is an adjectival phrase.
And the original sentence, there is nothing wrong with it. I have seen a lot of sentences like that, but it's just something i dont understand so i came up here and asked.
Again, thanks!
Can i ask how old you are?
Reply With Quote
  #9422  
Old 06-08-2012, 12:39
Member
Join Date: 06-2012
Posts: 31
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilln View Post
Maybe yes, maybe no. The matter is I have a girlfriend now.

good for you, I think that u can forget that singer, thanks to ur gf
Reply With Quote
  #9423  
Old 06-08-2012, 15:37
tranhieuamg's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 01-2009
Posts: 2,914
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

though this's a bit old and I don't want to dig deep into the matter much either I reckon a reply is still necessary considering that post was directed at me.

sorry if my other earlier posts sounded like it but I had no intention to provoke you nor was I looking for a fight here. Attention might worth some sweat breaking to some, but unfortunately none of the things I hold dear has anything to do with fame or attention, and as a matter of fact low profile is much more preferable to me.

that aside, I already pressed in my first post several pages back that given the question and the manner in which it is being questioned, it is out of question here the 1st one is grammatically and universally correct. The matter of concern is both are used frequently and indifferently in spoken english when it comes to question phrasing, in which your example below didn't manage to indulge, hence the irrelevancy.

of course at the end of the day you can stick to your grammar book all you like, each to his own I suppose. 1 thing I learned in the course of the past few years is it's useless forcing your thinking onto somebody, better save the energy for something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coming-soon View Post
Here, comes again "experience"...
I won't be questioning you about your exp with the native speaking guys.

But I utterly disagree with you over the declaration highlighted in the quote tag.
Say, it was your personal supposition, (which you seemed overconfident about).
And please don't involve the (innocent) natives in this soup. It seems to me that you were just trying to pick fight with me by persisting with a conflicting, incorrect usage. Or in some case, to seek attention miserably by going against the flow. Hopefully, you didn't.

And ya, I admit.. Writing is far different from Speaking in English usage. But please keep in mind that Writing lang, without further controversy, must be officially the standard language as well as the pattern for other forms of language involving Speaking. We may find it pretty formal or formulaic to hear Writing lang in daily speech but it is for sure, byfar more ridiculous to hear Speaking lang in a formal context..

btw, I'd devided the explantion into two parts by an adequate blank space.
the asker could examine the below for further explanation in case of need. Because I was being aware of the matter (the asker's level) right from the begining. Your notation must have been unnecessary. I'm so sorry!!

Why not relevant? did you notice that I was giving an example of the distinction between "to make sense" and "to be grammatically correct"...??
If you wish more. Here's another e.g which is seemingly better sticking to the subject.
"Stop it, I know who you are" or "Stop it, I know who are you".
Now, I betcha any of the natives would sneer at you if they hear the 2.. Just like this emoticon



ttthe..the woman in the e.g is.. My wife.
__________________
wandering beyond the realm of reality
Reply With Quote
  #9424  
Old 06-08-2012, 17:02
K.I.A
Join Date: 07-2012
Posts: 5
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Anyone know group voz speaking english in skype ???
I'd like to join to speak with them
Reply With Quote
  #9425  
Old 06-08-2012, 20:06
blackbuddha's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 10-2007
Posts: 2,958
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcha View Post
Thanks a lot, man! I get it now, the whole "1 km long" function as an adjective. So, I think it goes the same for the sentence "he is 2 years old", which "2 years old" is an adjectival phrase.
And the original sentence, there is nothing wrong with it. I have seen a lot of sentences like that, but it's just something i dont understand so i came up here and asked.
Again, thanks!
Can i ask how old you are?
I'm glad that helped clarify your problem. About the other request, I'm afraid I can't fulfil it since I want to keep it as ambiguous as possible.
__________________
[QUOTE][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][B]05/03/2013 - Welcome to adulthood.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Don't look at me! Void has filled me up and it will eat you up...[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #9426  
Old 06-08-2012, 21:22
lethanhtang's Avatar
K.I.A
Join Date: 03-2012
Posts: 27
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

i am not understand you say what hic
Reply With Quote
  #9427  
Old 06-08-2012, 21:28
K.I.A
Join Date: 07-2012
Posts: 5
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethanhtang View Post
i am not understand you say what hic
I'm not understand what you said/say
Reply With Quote
  #9428  
Old 06-08-2012, 21:41
Voldemort2109's Avatar
K.I.A
Join Date: 09-2011
Posts: 74
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Old problem again. For example, Can you tell me where are you form or Can you tell me where you are from. Because I didn't remember that I read some leasons which writes: "Can you tell me/Subject said/told/... + WH + S + V"
__________________
[COLOR="Cyan"]I[/COLOR] [COLOR="Lime"]have[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkOrange"]a[/COLOR] [COLOR="Magenta"]dream[/COLOR] [COLOR="Silver"]...[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #9429  
Old 06-08-2012, 21:46
trumbantia2012's Avatar
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 04-2011
Posts: 3,170
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Floating lives so sad
__________________
[QUOTE=vtalinh;47796579]Nói thật lòng thì admin quên pass vào Admin CP rồi, có 1 đồng chí biết thì đi du học chưa về, nên chả chỉnh được cái gì đâu =))[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #9430  
Old 06-08-2012, 21:59
Coming-soon's Avatar
Member
Join Date: 05-2012
Posts: 45
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranhieuamg View Post
though this's a bit old and I don't want to dig deep into the matter much either I reckon a reply is still necessary considering that post was directed at me.
No sweat, a good refutation may take time. (joke)

Quote:
sorry if my other earlier posts sounded like it but I had no intention to provoke you nor was I looking for a fight here. Attention might worth some sweat breaking to some, but unfortunately none of the things I hold dear has anything to do with fame or attention, and as a matter of fact low profile is much more preferable to me.

that aside, I already pressed in my first post several pages back that given the question and the manner in which it is being questioned, it is out of question here the 1st one is grammatically and universally correct. The matter of concern is both are used frequently and indifferently in spoken english when it comes to question phrasing, in which your example below didn't manage to indulge, hence the irrelevancy.

of course at the end of the day you can stick to your grammar book all you like, each to his own I suppose. 1 thing I learned in the course of the past few years is it's useless forcing your thinking onto somebody, better save the energy for something else.
wow, that sounds intriguing!!! You must have any quote for that? Honestly.
otherwise, methinks you have misused some expressions in your reply. thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 16:59.