Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1441  
Old 10-07-2009, 21:01
d3adc3II's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 6,363
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

It may has either one of these meanings :

1> Dont take too many cigarette . It's bad for your health
Đừng hút nhiều thuốc quá , kô tốt đâu

2> Dont finish whole cigarette, throw other half away . You may live longer
Đừng hút hết cả điếu , hút nửa điếu thôi , chết sớm lắm í :">

Btw , no one can answer my question ?
__________________
i7 9700k@5.1Ghz | Z390 Aorus Master | 16 GBs VengeanceRGB | Aorus 1080Ti | 970Evo 1TB | Kraken X62 | Lianli PC-01DX | EVGA 750W G3
Gear: Vortex Race 3 | GPro Wireless | Glorious Model O- | G900 | Audio: Presonius Eris 3.5
Vaper Telegram group: https://t.me/VozVaperz
Reply With Quote
  #1442  
Old 11-07-2009, 06:57
patri0t's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 12-2007
Posts: 1,189
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3adc3II View Post
I have 1 simple question
who knows the meaning of this sentence "I love her until now :">" ?[/b]
//bl4ckdr4g00n
Not so sure, but IMO, it might be: "I used to love her. But at present, I don't"

//There's another context for the "smoking cigarette all the way down":
He was smoking the cigarette in the style that its head was lowered

If you often watch Western movie, you could see many cowboys have this smoking style
__________________
[B][COLOR="Red"]-- bl4ckdr4g00n --[/COLOR][/B]
Reply With Quote
  #1443  
Old 11-07-2009, 10:13
whi_pis's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 06-2009
Posts: 337
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3adc3II View Post
It may has either one of these meanings :


2> Dont finish whole cigarette, throw other half away . You may live longer
Đừng hút hết cả điếu , hút nửa điếu thôi , chết sớm lắm í :">
it really makes sense, after googling for a while i realize that "all the way down" when used with "smoke" means all the way down to filter.
__________________
kế hoạch tìm người yêu: tích cực mua vé số mỗi ngày và đoạn tuyệt với những cô gái có tên kết thúc bằng .jpg
Reply With Quote
  #1444  
Old 11-07-2009, 10:15
whi_pis's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 06-2009
Posts: 337
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
//bl4ckdr4g00n


//There's another context for the "smoking cigarette all the way down":
He was smoking the cigarette in the style that its head was lowered

If you often watch Western movie, you could see many cowboys have this smoking style
give me an example plz, i cant find it on google
__________________
kế hoạch tìm người yêu: tích cực mua vé số mỗi ngày và đoạn tuyệt với những cô gái có tên kết thúc bằng .jpg
Reply With Quote
  #1445  
Old 11-07-2009, 10:33
d3adc3II's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 6,363
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
//bl4ckdr4g00n
Not so sure, but IMO, it might be: "I used to love her. But at present, I don't"
Yes it's so true ,

"I love her until now " means "I used to love her , but now I don't" . In other words , adding "until now" bring negative meaning to particular sentence.

I think this is the most common mistake for Asian people spoken English, since we translate directly from our own language to English.

So, next time if you say "I love you until now " to your American girlfriend, prepare to get a slap on your face
__________________
i7 9700k@5.1Ghz | Z390 Aorus Master | 16 GBs VengeanceRGB | Aorus 1080Ti | 970Evo 1TB | Kraken X62 | Lianli PC-01DX | EVGA 750W G3
Gear: Vortex Race 3 | GPro Wireless | Glorious Model O- | G900 | Audio: Presonius Eris 3.5
Vaper Telegram group: https://t.me/VozVaperz
Reply With Quote
  #1446  
Old 11-07-2009, 14:49
zoo0ooz's Avatar
Member
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 95
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Yes, I do agree with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by whi_pis View Post
Excuse me, but i think there's a small problem here. "I used to love her" means I loved her, now i dont, "I love her until now" means I still love her, Im loving her.
"Until now" has no business with negative meaning.Pretty sure! That's the strangest thing i ever heard.
Reply With Quote
  #1447  
Old 11-07-2009, 20:22
d3adc3II's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 6,363
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

That's why i said this is the most common mistake for non-native English speaking people. Because we , vietnamese translate it directly from English

"Anh yêu em cho đến bây giờ" , it should be "Anh đã từng yêu em ,nhưng từ nay anh kô yêu em nữa"

Here the definition of "until now"
Quote:
Adv. 1. until now - used in negative statement to describe a situation that has existed up to this point or up to the present time"
For example :

It's raining until now - mean it was raining, but it stopped now

I used to have misunderstanding about the proper use of "until now", until i have read an argument between an American and Philippine . I just quote them for you to read

Quote:
Philippine : i love u since 1998 until now,,,, (they talked about a singer)

American: you mean you love him since 1998 and it stops now? UNTIL NOW means it stops / no more. So you said UNTIL NOW is like saying "I love you and it stops NOW" correct grammar

Philippine: no,,no..until now means,,i still love him,, hmmm where u from?
American: I am from USA I speak English.. But when we travel Asia and talked to some locals they use the word UNTIL NOW and didn't even know what they meant... Until now means it stops at the very moment ( NOW ) .. Example : I used to run naked in the streets when I was a little kid UNTIL I reach 7 years old I stopped../ I love you UNTIL I found out you kissed another girl.. // He used to loved me UNTIL NOW that he is married to another woman....

American: yes but I hope those non English speaking country would understand proper english before they use English language in their conversation because it is so funny when a person speaks english but has a different meaning or he has his own meaning ...

Another guy: good to let people understand the native english speaker.
and janet is really kind to give these suggestions.

So now you know eh ? by the time I read these, im really happy cuz I just found out something new
__________________
i7 9700k@5.1Ghz | Z390 Aorus Master | 16 GBs VengeanceRGB | Aorus 1080Ti | 970Evo 1TB | Kraken X62 | Lianli PC-01DX | EVGA 750W G3
Gear: Vortex Race 3 | GPro Wireless | Glorious Model O- | G900 | Audio: Presonius Eris 3.5
Vaper Telegram group: https://t.me/VozVaperz
Reply With Quote
  #1448  
Old 11-07-2009, 23:58
Ghosthammer's Avatar
Hết xăng
Join Date: 07-2008
Posts: 8,259
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

damn fu*king marketing assignment
Reply With Quote
  #1449  
Old 12-07-2009, 23:50
bl4ckdr4g00n's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 8,934
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by whi_pis View Post

If u still insist on the "negative meaning" ,plz distinguish these sentences :
Father's day gift for a man that hasn't been around until now.
Father's day gift for a man that hasn't been around.

i took it from here http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8223927AARubIB Without "until now" the meaning will be changed?
I think it's quite clear.
The first sentence: "A man that hadn't been around. Now he's here"
The second sentence: "A man hasn't been around. He doesn't appear now, and might be in the future"
Reply With Quote
  #1450  
Old 13-07-2009, 10:57
zoo0ooz's Avatar
Member
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 95
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

So, I still have damm f*cking VNese thinking when using English huh :( ? Thanks, anyway!
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 23:10.