Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #5191  
Old 20-09-2011, 10:31
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Since 2001
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 11,602
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Raider View Post
@ Jay, my teacher is from the USA, and he said, in formal writing or academic writing, should not use pronouns like "I", "you",... And although it's your personal idea, the expression should be used objectively. For example, instead of using "As I mentioned above", you should write "As mentioned above".
The example above is not related to your statement. May be you can ask your teacher to help answering this question about one's personal idea: "Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: 'only men themselves can bring happiness to each other'?".

Anyway, I know where's the confusing part. You guys are mistaking the term "formal writing" and "academic writing". Those terms does not apply to exam papers where open questions are sometime given to ask for one's personal idea, experience or judgement.

Such formal writing & academic writing terms should be refering to something like academic articles, books, dissertation projects, etc... instead. In these materials people usually does not wish to listen to your own assumption but to proven facts, thorough analysis, descriptions and definitions on the given topic. Therefore personalized statements should be avoided.
__________________
PlayStation Network: nestorvie (for GTA 5)
Reply With Quote
  #5192  
Old 20-09-2011, 10:41
Senior Member
Join Date: 03-2010
Posts: 1,102
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip_85 View Post
Hmm.Sound's weird.When you guys read the writing samples (Mat Clark author) , you'll find out that the author always keep using pronouns to express his ideas.
The problem here is that how you guys wrote essays, because pronouns are minor errors, comparing to another mistakes in the essay
And also there are plenty ways to "agree or disagree"
Sound weird, keeps, write, compare to, other, plenty of ways. hmmm, post 18th
Reply With Quote
  #5193  
Old 20-09-2011, 10:50
Senior Member
Join Date: 03-2010
Posts: 1,102
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
The example above is not related to your statement. May be you can ask your teacher to help answering this question about one's personal idea: "Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: 'only men themselves can bring happiness to each other'?".

Anyway, I know where's the confusing part. You guys are mistaking the term "formal writing" and "academic writing". Those terms does not apply to exam papers where open questions are sometime given to ask for one's personal idea, experience or judgement.

Such formal writing & academic writing terms should be refering to something like academic articles, books, dissertation projects, etc... instead. In these materials people usually does not wish to listen to your own assumption but to proven facts, thorough analysis, descriptions and definitions on the given topic. Therefore personalized statements should be avoided.
You are making me confused, my writing teacher tells me not to search any sample from the Internet because most of samples there are not written properly for academic or formal writing or something else. So, I think I would rather listen to my teacher. And, do not, and, do not. And, I suppose that formal writing and academic writing are the same. And, post 19th
Reply With Quote
  #5194  
Old 20-09-2011, 11:05
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Since 2001
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 11,602
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Raider View Post
Sound weird, keeps, write, compare to, other, plenty of ways. hmmm, post 18th
well I think he's trying to demonstrate what he wants to say.
__________________
PlayStation Network: nestorvie (for GTA 5)
Reply With Quote
  #5195  
Old 20-09-2011, 11:07
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Since 2001
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 11,602
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Raider View Post
You are making me confused, my writing teacher tells me not to search any sample from the Internet because most of samples there are not written properly for academic or formal writing or something else. So, I think I would rather listen to my teacher. And, do not, and, do not. And, I suppose that formal writing and academic writing are the same. And, post 19th
very well then, hope u will achieve greater things in your academic years.
__________________
PlayStation Network: nestorvie (for GTA 5)
Reply With Quote
  #5196  
Old 20-09-2011, 12:45
Tuancoltech.ver2's Avatar
K.I.A
Join Date: 11-2010
Posts: 299
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Raider View Post
You are making me confused, my writing teacher tells me not to search any sample from the Internet because most of samples there are not written properly for academic or formal writing or something else. So, I think I would rather listen to my teacher. And, do not, and, do not. And, I suppose that formal writing and academic writing are the same. And, post 19th
I am crazy of your English Are you a native English speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
The example above is not related to your statement. May be you can ask your teacher to help answering this question about one's personal idea: "Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: 'only men themselves can bring happiness to each other'?".

Anyway, I know where's the confusing part. You guys are mistaking the term "formal writing" and "academic writing". Those terms does not apply to exam papers where open questions are sometime given to ask for one's personal idea, experience or judgement.

Such formal writing & academic writing terms should be refering to something like academic articles, books, dissertation projects, etc... instead. In these materials people usually does not wish to listen to your own assumption but to proven facts, thorough analysis, descriptions and definitions on the given topic. Therefore personalized statements should be avoided.
And your English is great, too

// So is your typing speed.
__________________
[QUOTE='[MGS]SNET;21428443']Rắn gì toàn đi giết người, rắn của em tạo ra con người mới hay! :sexy:[/QUOTE]


:rofl:
Reply With Quote
  #5197  
Old 20-09-2011, 13:04
shazam's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 12-2010
Posts: 4,643
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

I suppose he isn't. Can't see any clear evidence to support your thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuancoltech.ver2 View Post
I am crazy of your English Are you a native English speaker?
__________________
[B]First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.[/B]
[RIGHT][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

[/RIGHT]
Reply With Quote
  #5198  
Old 20-09-2011, 17:01
vietht's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 02-2007
Posts: 3,007
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Pls, translate this part for me: "QTK will also pay a royalty to the NewHK Company with a goal of nearly zero profit within the Vietnam operation minimizing the tax burden from Vietnam. "

Thank u everyone
Reply With Quote
  #5199  
Old 20-09-2011, 17:22
Senior Member
Join Date: 03-2010
Posts: 1,102
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

@Tuancoltech, If I were a native speaker, I wouldn't be here. And, did you mean to say " I am crazy about (not "of") your English "?
@vietht, I am sorry, but I am very bad at Vietnamese. Why don't you try Google Translator ?
Reply With Quote
  #5200  
Old 20-09-2011, 18:53
hip_85's Avatar
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 08-2009
Posts: 667
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Raider View Post
Sound weird, keeps, write, compare to, other, plenty of ways. hmmm, post 18th
:">:">:">
Thanks for correcting my mistakes :">
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 04:56.