Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #5151  
Old 16-09-2011, 21:44
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Since 2001
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 11,602
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Raider View Post
Please help me translate this sentence into vietnamese.
"How am I quite bothersome manage?"
I can't even understand it, how to translate?
__________________
PlayStation Network: nestorvie (for GTA 5)
Reply With Quote
  #5152  
Old 16-09-2011, 21:47
Cayenne's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 10-2008
Posts: 3,049
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
one tip: you should not go for IELTS now, or anytime in the near future.
Can you give me some reasons to this argument?
Reply With Quote
  #5153  
Old 16-09-2011, 22:29
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Since 2001
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 11,602
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne View Post
Can you give me some reasons to this argument?
reason? wasting money!
__________________
PlayStation Network: nestorvie (for GTA 5)
Reply With Quote
  #5154  
Old 17-09-2011, 20:20
gtr_271's Avatar
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 05-2009
Posts: 1,106
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

I have a question:
The 2nd question in the Writing section of the IELTS test asked me: "To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?". I used "In my opinion" and some informal words in my answer, so are they appropriate?
__________________
i7 6700K | Noctua NH-U9S | Asus ROG Strix Z270I Gaming | G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3600 C16 | GTX 1080 Ti FE + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III + 2x Gentle Typhoon 1850 PWM | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB + Crucial MX300 750GB + Seagate FireCuda 2TB | NCase M1 | Dell S2417DG
Dell Latitude E7470 | i7 6650U
Reply With Quote
  #5155  
Old 18-09-2011, 10:44
nmc1988's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 07-2007
Posts: 1,417
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr_271 View Post
I have a question:
The 2nd question in the Writing section of the IELTS test asked me: "To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?". I used "In my opinion" and some informal words in my answer, so are they appropriate?
In IELTS essay, you should use formal and academic words to get higher score. "in my opinion" could be accepted but it's better as you use some phrases like that:

- Many people, myself included, are of the opinion that....
- I hold firm to my beliefs that...
- I do believe that....
- My personal view is that....
- From an individual point of view,...
- ... take the view that...
- It is my belief that
- I maintain that....
- I am not alone in believing that...

These are some expressions which I can remember now. Anyway, you could search via Google to get more .
__________________
[CENTER][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B][SIZE="2"]Nothing is Impossible[/SIZE][/B]![/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Reply With Quote
  #5156  
Old 18-09-2011, 12:26
'or''=''s Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2007
Posts: 2,225
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

^
I think all of the expressions above should not be used in the writing section of IELTS. :">
__________________
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote
  #5157  
Old 18-09-2011, 18:45
Senior Member
Join Date: 08-2007
Posts: 105
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

That's great topic.
Can I join you in improving my English?
Reply With Quote
  #5158  
Old 18-09-2011, 19:08
Senior Member
Join Date: 03-2010
Posts: 1,102
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmc1988 View Post
In IELTS essay, you should use formal and academic words to get higher score. "in my opinion" could be accepted but it's better as you use some phrases like that:

- Many people, myself included, are of the opinion that....
- I hold firm to my beliefs that...
- I do believe that....
- My personal view is that....
- From an individual point of view,...
- ... take the view that...
- It is my belief that
- I maintain that....
- I am not alone in believing that...

These are some expressions which I can remember now. Anyway, you could search via Google to get more .
Well well well, any personal idea should not be used in any academic essay, not only IELTS.
Reply With Quote
  #5159  
Old 18-09-2011, 22:35
nmc1988's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 07-2007
Posts: 1,417
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Raider View Post
Well well well, any personal idea should not be used in any academic essay, not only IELTS.
That's not right. Did you see the topic question: " To what extend, do you agree or disagree". So, in order to answer this question, (or to match your essay to the topic given, in other words), you have to give your opinion.
It could be in the body or conclusion, it's up to your essay structure.

If you have a look at the sample answers for IELTS task 2 (band 8 or band 9, for example), you can see that with that kind of essay, the writer often gives his/her view.
__________________
[CENTER][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B][SIZE="2"]Nothing is Impossible[/SIZE][/B]![/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Reply With Quote
  #5160  
Old 19-09-2011, 07:00
'or''=''s Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 09-2007
Posts: 2,225
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmc1988 View Post
If you have a look at the sample answers for IELTS task 2 (band 8 or band 9, for example), you can see that with that kind of essay, the writer often gives his/her view.
Obviously, you have to present your point of view, but not in that way.
If you read some 8.0 or above essay using those expressions, please enlighten me.
__________________
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 02:09.