Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #5051  
Old 29-08-2011, 10:30
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Since 2001
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 11,602
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Men4u7 View Post
Yeah yeah, I know. I am looking for a fulbright scholarship, and I want to make sure that I dont have many competitors ^^.
Personally I feel the method of marking for TOEFL iBT is not as good as the classic way in IELTS (I have not taken any classic TOEFL), especially in the speaking and writing test.

Could the computer determine how well your speaking & writing are? Yes it may be able to validate your pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary but hey, how about the content & the depth of the message? the implication? the given examples? etc...

Could the computer determine if whatever you said/wrote is relevant to the topic? by keywords? no, that's not adequate. What happen if I keep saying the same thing in different ways? For example "transportation in US is not good. It is not good to transport in US. US is not good for its transportation. US is not better than other countries regarding the transportation matters..."

Therefore I still believe that the marking for speaking & writing skills in IELTS is more relevant and accurate.
__________________
PlayStation Network: nestorvie (for GTA 5)
Reply With Quote
  #5052  
Old 29-08-2011, 11:15
Trác Đông Lai's Avatar
| Giang hồ hiểm ác |
Join Date: 12-2006
Posts: 5,721
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

New month, new week.

New hope.
Reply With Quote
  #5053  
Old 29-08-2011, 12:07
gtr_271's Avatar
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 05-2009
Posts: 1,106
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Because students nowadays are smarter so they can start learning English earlier.

btw, I don't think "back on track" is a formal expression.
Ah, so that means you studied English long ago (like in the 90s)?
Also, thanks for the correction.
So now I should ask for expressions in daily life conversations?
__________________
i7 6700K | Noctua NH-U9S | Asus ROG Strix Z270I Gaming | G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3600 C16 | GTX 1080 Ti FE + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III + 2x Gentle Typhoon 1850 PWM | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB + Crucial MX300 750GB + Seagate FireCuda 2TB | NCase M1 | Dell S2417DG
Dell Latitude E7470 | i7 6650U
Reply With Quote
  #5054  
Old 29-08-2011, 15:02
iris1102's Avatar
Member
Join Date: 04-2011
Posts: 77
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Personally I feel the method of marking for TOEFL iBT is not as good as the classic way in IELTS (I have not taken any classic TOEFL), especially in the speaking and writing test.

Could the computer determine how well your speaking & writing are? Yes it may be able to validate your pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary but hey, how about the content & the depth of the message? the implication? the given examples? etc...

Could the computer determine if whatever you said/wrote is relevant to the topic? by keywords? no, that's not adequate. What happen if I keep saying the same thing in different ways? For example "transportation in US is not good. It is not good to transport in US. US is not good for its transportation. US is not better than other countries regarding the transportation matters..."

Therefore I still believe that the marking for speaking & writing skills in IELTS is more relevant and accurate.
+1
Reading in IELTS also is also very tough. You have to read 3 academic topics containing about 1000 words, and then answer 40 questions in 1 hour. I am sure that those questions are really tricky and confusing, for example: true, false, not given questions, while in Toefl there are only multiple-choice questions that make you much easier to decide your answers.
btw, how old are you Men4u7?
__________________
[QUOTE=mr_skennedy;30327241]Song Thủ Hỗ Bác:
Tớ luyện chiêu này bây h 1 tay sóc 1 tay di chuột, tâm trí phân minh không hề ảnh hưởng đến nhau .[/QUOTE][QUOTE=ghetloaimodvovanhoa;35612116][SIZE="4"] [COLOR="Red"]Mình chắc chắn tươơng lai của Dizzy sẽ là xe ôm, xe thồ hoặc bốc xếp[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #5055  
Old 29-08-2011, 16:31
K.I.A
Join Date: 03-2011
Posts: 31
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

@jay, who tell you that the computer grades your speaking and writing skills? The link I gave you is just a mini-test, which can only grade your reading and listening skills. In fact,in the real Toefl, there would be human-being examiners listening to your speech and checking your writing.In addition, speaking section is a combination of independent speaking and integrated one, which requires you to speak after you listen and read about a topic.It is similar with the writing section in Toefl.That is why I suppose Toefl is tough(for me).If you don't think so,it's up to you. My business here is done.

@iris I am 19.I admit that reading in Toefl is not very hard, but if you think that listening and writing are easier than that in IELTs,consider what I mentioned above.
Reply With Quote
  #5056  
Old 29-08-2011, 17:35
iris1102's Avatar
Member
Join Date: 04-2011
Posts: 77
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Men4u7 View Post
@jay, who tell you that the computer grades your speaking and writing skills? The link I gave you is just a mini-test, which can only grade your reading and listening skills. In fact,in the real Toefl, there would be human-being examiners listening to your speech and checking your writing.In addition, speaking section is a combination of independent speaking and integrated one, which requires you to speak after you listen and read about a topic.It is similar with the writing section in Toefl.That is why I suppose Toefl is tough(for me).If you don't think so,it's up to you. My business here is done.

@iris I am 19.I admit that reading in Toefl is not very hard, but if you think that listening and writing are easier than that in IELTs,consider what I mentioned above.
you are studying in vn university, aint you?
__________________
[QUOTE=mr_skennedy;30327241]Song Thủ Hỗ Bác:
Tớ luyện chiêu này bây h 1 tay sóc 1 tay di chuột, tâm trí phân minh không hề ảnh hưởng đến nhau .[/QUOTE][QUOTE=ghetloaimodvovanhoa;35612116][SIZE="4"] [COLOR="Red"]Mình chắc chắn tươơng lai của Dizzy sẽ là xe ôm, xe thồ hoặc bốc xếp[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #5057  
Old 29-08-2011, 17:47
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Since 2001
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 11,602
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Men4u7 View Post
@jay, who tell you that the computer grades your speaking and writing skills? The link I gave you is just a mini-test, which can only grade your reading and listening skills. In fact,in the real Toefl, there would be human-being examiners listening to your speech and checking your writing.In addition, speaking section is a combination of independent speaking and integrated one, which requires you to speak after you listen and read about a topic.It is similar with the writing section in Toefl.That is why I suppose Toefl is tough(for me).If you don't think so,it's up to you. My business here is done.

@iris I am 19.I admit that reading in Toefl is not very hard, but if you think that listening and writing are easier than that in IELTs,consider what I mentioned above.
my dear friend, this is how listening test in IELTS work: you need to listen to a long conversation (e.g. a man calls a store to order food for his house party) or an academic essay; note taking is NOT allowed; then answer many questions about the content of the conversation/essay (e.g. what types of food, quantity, special requirements, etc...). And as mentioned above, the answer could be True, False and "Not given" which is very tricky because you won't know if you missed the content or it was actually not given.

After taking that mini test you provided I can confirm it is much easier than IELTS.

For speaking, it is always easier to speak passively to a recorder than to speak in a conversation with another person. In IELTS you need to discuss about a topic with the tester who will then ask questions, and try to debate on whatever you say.
__________________
PlayStation Network: nestorvie (for GTA 5)
Reply With Quote
  #5058  
Old 29-08-2011, 19:04
gtr_271's Avatar
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 05-2009
Posts: 1,106
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Hey Jay, do you mind telling me your IELTS score and the centre you sit?
And also, is it true that the IELTS exam in British Council is easier than in IDP?
__________________
i7 6700K | Noctua NH-U9S | Asus ROG Strix Z270I Gaming | G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3600 C16 | GTX 1080 Ti FE + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III + 2x Gentle Typhoon 1850 PWM | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB + Crucial MX300 750GB + Seagate FireCuda 2TB | NCase M1 | Dell S2417DG
Dell Latitude E7470 | i7 6650U
Reply With Quote
  #5059  
Old 29-08-2011, 19:21
Senior Member
Join Date: 01-2011
Posts: 482
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

what do we use "Recruitment Information" or "Recruitment Announce" when we want talk about Recruitment Adv in website/news paper ?

// I have a question, but I can't translate it into Eng, Can I ask in Vnese ?
__________________
[B][COLOR="Purple"][center]Xin Mãi Là Bạn Thân...[/center][/COLOR][/B]
Reply With Quote
  #5060  
Old 29-08-2011, 20:45
Member
Join Date: 08-2011
Posts: 71
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

How mistakable you are to write the word "what" instead of "which".
I've searched google to know a small difference between 2 word uses "recruiment infomation & recruiment announcement" . the answer came naturally:
- Incase a company immediately needs to replace positions left by old employees, it will use common ways to announce everyone now finding job in same field. That's such a famous company for anyone so the advertisement it says to attract viewers. Honda, Canon,...for example. I think it's meaning of recruiment annoucement.
- When u come to a job website, vietnamwork.com for example, clearly u see the long job list come up. The variety of jobs gives u many choises u supposed to adapt and u're just looking for the position suits to u. So i think that is informative. the proper word for this case is recruitment information.
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 22:15.