Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2631  
Old 09-07-2010, 21:06
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 06-2010
Posts: 1,696
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

It's pretty hard, huh?
Remember that the grammar of news report is different

One small question for everyone: what's the difference between "I saw him stealing" and "I saw him steal" ?
Reply With Quote
  #2632  
Old 09-07-2010, 21:16
popcorn90's Avatar
K.I.A
Join Date: 09-2009
Posts: 522
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
The explosion hit a commercial area, destroying vehicles and shops and burying a number of people under the rubble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by |G|I|G|A| View Post
I think, destroying and burying is two verbs with "the explosion" is main noun, but I still wonder why they dont use simple present tense here instead of simple continuous
Yeah, you are nearly right. I think the phrase "The explosion ... area" is stand for a NOUN in this sentence, or "The explosion" - in shortened, and this is a past perfect (because we don't know when the event occured).

So, the first mini sentence: The explosion ... area, is the simple past tense, so it came with a Verb_ed. And the past perfect for the second one, but there's the verb_ing because we can shorten it. Destroying and burying are all replaced for "had+been+ved/v2"

//ot: lâu quá mới đụng đến mấy cái thì này nên nhớ manh máng vậy.
Correct me if i wrong!
__________________
[SIZE="1"][B]t(-.-t)[/B][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote
  #2633  
Old 09-07-2010, 21:21
popcorn90's Avatar
K.I.A
Join Date: 09-2009
Posts: 522
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by minha1hr View Post
It's pretty hard, huh?
Remember that the grammar of news report is different

One small question for everyone: what's the difference between "I saw him stealing" and "I saw him steal" ?
V_ed+ Object + V_o. <-this is a basic simple past tense so i wont explain it, 'right?

V_ed+O+V_ing : When I saw him, he was stealing something. That's it!
__________________
[SIZE="1"][B]t(-.-t)[/B][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote
  #2634  
Old 09-07-2010, 21:29
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 06-2010
Posts: 1,696
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn90 View Post
V_ed+ Object + V_o. <-this is a basic simple past tense so i wont explain it, 'right?

V_ed+O+V_ing : When you saw him, he was stealing something. That's it!
There is a tiny difference
If you see SO do ST, you see the whole action
If you see SO doing ST, you only see partly
Reply With Quote
  #2635  
Old 09-07-2010, 21:31
tranthanhtuanvn's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 02-2010
Posts: 492
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by |G|I|G|A| View Post
I think, destroying and burying is two verbs with "the explosion" is main noun, but I still wonder why they dont use simple present tense here instead of simple continuous
But they did the explosion, so I think it's the simple past tense

Quote:
Originally Posted by |G|I|G|A| View Post
throw ST to SO/ST but I have an idea that we will use SHIT instead of Bricks for more dangerous
Sorry guy, the correct sentence is "throw a brick at his face"
__________________
[QUOTE=ply;47253687]mình và gấu đang *** nhau, mình đột nhiên dừng lại kể cho gấu nghe về căng thẳng trong mối quan hệ Liên Triều, về tranh chấp giữa TQ và Philippin tại bãi ngầm Scaborough/Hoàng Nham, về phiên họp QH thứ 3 kỳ 13... Gấu ậm ừ vài câu rồi lại ấn vào lưng mình "thôi *** tiếp đi" thế là mình im bặt và lại tiếp tục ***[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #2636  
Old 09-07-2010, 21:35
popcorn90's Avatar
K.I.A
Join Date: 09-2009
Posts: 522
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by minha1hr View Post
There is a tiny difference
If you see SO do ST, you see the whole action
If you see SO doing ST, you only see partly

//What do you guys think about the Paul Octopus? a.k.a St. Paul with his scary prediction. Recently, he's predicted Spain will win in the WC final match.
__________________
[SIZE="1"][B]t(-.-t)[/B][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote
  #2637  
Old 09-07-2010, 21:46
|G|I|G|A|'s Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 12-2009
Posts: 2,329
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
no no no, "throw to" means to throw st in order for it to be caught( like when you play the ball games), in this case, we will use "throw at", as it means to throw something in order for it to hit someone
Got it, man. I misunderstood
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranthanhtuanvn View Post
But they did the explosion, so I think it's the simple past tense
Everything will be simple if they use past tense, right? But in fact, this is simple present, not simple past cuz how do you explain about destroying and burying words they've used?
__________________
Đằng kia trên ngọn đồi thông, ánh mắt của chàng trai đang hướng về phía chân trời xa. Cơn gió nhẹ như bàn tay thiếu nữ, lả lướt trên từng sợi tóc, tựa hồ như những niềm hoài cảm, ký ức lại đưa anh về với từng phút giây hạnh phúc tưởng chừng như chỉ mới ngày hôm qua.
Reply With Quote
  #2638  
Old 09-07-2010, 21:55
popcorn90's Avatar
K.I.A
Join Date: 09-2009
Posts: 522
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by |G|I|G|A| View Post
Got it, man. I misunderstood


Everything will be simple if they use past tense, right? But in fact, this is simple present, not simple past cuz how do you explain about destroying and burying words they've used?
Nah, this is not a simple present sentence, because that was a News so it happened in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn90 View Post
Yeah, you are nearly right. I think the phrase "The explosion ... area" is stand for a NOUN in this sentence, or "The explosion" - in shortened, and this is a past perfect (because we don't know when the event occured).

So, the first mini sentence: The explosion ... area, is the simple past tense, so it came with a Verb_ed. And the past perfect for the second one, but there's the verb_ing because we can shorten it. Destroying and burying are all replaced for "had+been+ved/v2"

//ot: lâu quá mới đụng đến mấy cái thì này nên nhớ manh máng vậy.
Correct me if i wrong!
__________________
[SIZE="1"][B]t(-.-t)[/B][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote
  #2639  
Old 09-07-2010, 22:02
tranthanhtuanvn's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 02-2010
Posts: 492
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by |G|I|G|A| View Post
Got it, man. I misunderstood


Everything will be simple if they use past tense, right? But in fact, this is simple present, not simple past cuz how do you explain about destroying and burying words they've used?
This iz what I'm asking myself sad:
__________________
[QUOTE=ply;47253687]mình và gấu đang *** nhau, mình đột nhiên dừng lại kể cho gấu nghe về căng thẳng trong mối quan hệ Liên Triều, về tranh chấp giữa TQ và Philippin tại bãi ngầm Scaborough/Hoàng Nham, về phiên họp QH thứ 3 kỳ 13... Gấu ậm ừ vài câu rồi lại ấn vào lưng mình "thôi *** tiếp đi" thế là mình im bặt và lại tiếp tục ***[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #2640  
Old 09-07-2010, 22:03
|G|I|G|A|'s Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 12-2009
Posts: 2,329
Re: Learning English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn90 View Post
Nah, this is not a simple present sentence, because that was a News so it happened in the past
nah, I forgot, the past of "hit" is itself Ok, it's clear now
__________________
Đằng kia trên ngọn đồi thông, ánh mắt của chàng trai đang hướng về phía chân trời xa. Cơn gió nhẹ như bàn tay thiếu nữ, lả lướt trên từng sợi tóc, tựa hồ như những niềm hoài cảm, ký ức lại đưa anh về với từng phút giây hạnh phúc tưởng chừng như chỉ mới ngày hôm qua.
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 00:04.