Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #9961  
Old 19-09-2012, 02:12
trannghi7707's Avatar
Đã tốn tiền
Join Date: 05-2010
Posts: 2,613
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utairus View Post
frankly, my application needs at least 90 pts, so i think I have missed it. Now should be the time to prepare for the next one.

Just a bad day
where are you applying to ? why does it require such a high score to get in ?
Reply With Quote
  #9962  
Old 19-09-2012, 02:31
Utairus's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 01-2008
Posts: 1,983
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by trannghi7707 View Post
where are you applying to ? why does it require such a high score to get in ?
I tend to apply for scholarship in Business field of University of Queenland - Australia

Here's the requirements :
Quote:
Criteria - Academic
• Complete an undergraduate degree from a recongised institution with a GPA of at least 8 out of 10 on the Vietnamese grading scale. Vietnames students with a qualification from Australia or another country are also eligible to apply.
• Students must have an IELTS of 6.5 in writing with a 6 in all other sub bands, or TOEFL equivalent iBT 90 overall with no sub band less than 21
__________________
[COLOR="Gray"][SIZE="1"]- Dell Studio XPS 1647: Corei5--4Gb--500--4670
- Ip4s - standard version ( có version nào khác nữa đâu :rofl:)
- Đội bóng Voz-FC, chủ nhật hàng tuần- sân cỏ gần Đền Lừ -->http://vozforums.com/showthread.php?p=55952217 [/SIZE][/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #9963  
Old 19-09-2012, 07:18
AndyMai's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 04-2011
Posts: 629
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbuddha View Post
I don't mean to discourage you but let's be realistic here. What is your desirable score? Is there a deadline for it? Does it serve any purpose? If you're not in hurry, striving for the best may be right. Otherwise, just achieve your goal and proceed to the next step. English is larger than just a score.
well english is larger than score but then it is the only way to know which level you are at..
__________________
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="4"][B][CENTER]hakuna matata[/CENTER][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #9964  
Old 19-09-2012, 08:02
blackbuddha's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 10-2007
Posts: 2,958
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMai View Post
well english is larger than score but then it is the only way to know which level you are at..
Before you actually use it 24/7, score does mean something. After that, it takes flair and genius to perfect your command.
__________________
[QUOTE][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][B]05/03/2013 - Welcome to adulthood.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Don't look at me! Void has filled me up and it will eat you up...[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #9965  
Old 19-09-2012, 09:24
tranhieuamg's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 01-2009
Posts: 2,914
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbuddha View Post
Past a certain point, the result doesn't depend solely on your English command but your exam technique. That was my remark after talking IELTS. But of course top score requires a perfect combination of knowledge and skills.

Apart from that, I can't say anything else since I've never touched TOEFL materials.
what u got for ielts eh? talking about certificates does bring back memories as if it was just the other day I was sitting in the exam room
__________________
wandering beyond the realm of reality
Reply With Quote
  #9966  
Old 19-09-2012, 09:28
blackbuddha's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 10-2007
Posts: 2,958
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranhieuamg View Post
what u got for ielts eh? talking about certificates does bring back memories as if it was just the other day I was sitting in the exam room
I got 7.5 but I doubt if I could make it past 8.0 now .
__________________
[QUOTE][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][B]05/03/2013 - Welcome to adulthood.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Don't look at me! Void has filled me up and it will eat you up...[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #9967  
Old 19-09-2012, 09:45
tranhieuamg's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 01-2009
Posts: 2,914
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbuddha View Post
I got 7.5 but I doubt if I could make it past 8.0 now .
yah dats what usually happens to people after years studying abroad. a friend of mine scored 7.5 before going to the uk, 1 year later he successfully managed to bring it down to 7. lying at home watching movies all days long got him good.
__________________
wandering beyond the realm of reality
Reply With Quote
  #9968  
Old 19-09-2012, 09:52
blackbuddha's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 10-2007
Posts: 2,958
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranhieuamg View Post
yah dats what usually happens to people after years studying abroad. a friend of mine scored 7.5 before going to the uk, 1 year later he successfully managed to bring it down to 7. lying at home watching movies all days long got him good.
I surmised the funny part was he actually improved his reading, listening skills and his vocabulary. However it was the writing part that ultimately brought him down.

Writing has always been the little bugger to me. Speaking depends on my mood, the weather, my meal before the exam and the examiner's face.
__________________
[QUOTE][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][B]05/03/2013 - Welcome to adulthood.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Don't look at me! Void has filled me up and it will eat you up...[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #9969  
Old 19-09-2012, 10:03
tranhieuamg's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 01-2009
Posts: 2,914
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbuddha View Post
I surmised the funny part was he actually improved his reading, listening skills and his vocabulary. However it was the writing part that ultimately brought him down.

Writing has always been the little bugger to me. Speaking depends on my mood, the weather, my meal before the exam and the examiner's face.
in my case it's speaking that I dreaded most. guess I was too shy a boy at that time.

writing was on the other hand not that bad I guess, 1 thing I like about ielts over toefl. I recall writing a crap load of made up stories about my cousin traveling to amazon and doing mountaineering (not the Everest, some big boulder in australia I don't know where I got the name from) for the written exam back then. No idea why and how I could get away after bullshitting for a page or 2 packed with that kind of stuff, probably the examiner didn't even bother reading to the last line.

toefl however requires you to write about serious stuff, not my cup of tea. and somehow I often screw up the grammar whenever I got nervous.
__________________
wandering beyond the realm of reality
Reply With Quote
  #9970  
Old 19-09-2012, 19:22
Junior Member
Join Date: 09-2012
Posts: 8
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Whoa, from baby English in page 1 to fluent academic speaking in page 998... vOzers really ARE improving, aren't we? xD
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 16:24.