Read-only archive. Login and posting are unavailable.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #6271  
Old 04-01-2012, 20:19
Junior Member
Join Date: 09-2011
Posts: 28
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilln View Post
^
It IS department. I said I am working with Hanoi Department of Transport.

// and you guys should not misunderstand the word "transport" (refers to travel, civil work etc) with "transportation" (means carrying people or goods).
ya... thank you ^^ can you tell me more about ur work? such as what you do.. i'm talking about that 2pic but i don't know what to say.. :(
Reply With Quote
  #6272  
Old 04-01-2012, 20:51
Chilln's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 12-2011
Posts: 2,197
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

what exactly is your topic? Because the field of transport is not large but hard to tell.
Reply With Quote
  #6273  
Old 04-01-2012, 21:03
gunner_4ever_666's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 12-2011
Posts: 353
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

My bad,Chilln was right !!!
Anyway,anyone know how to improve your pronunciation ???
__________________
[SIZE=4][B][COLOR=DarkRed]Arsenal,Đức,Bayern,còn lại không quan tâm -_-[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote
  #6274  
Old 04-01-2012, 21:37
AndyMai's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 04-2011
Posts: 629
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Just had my speaking test this arvo, I think it went pretty well or so I assumed, the girl who interviewed me was pretty young and she always kept that stupid smile on her face and that made me so uncomfy lol, felt like i was being humiliated ==", otherwise it was alright.
The main question that she asked was "describe a workplace that you know". I was SOOO happy when i saw the question coz this I have been answering and discussing with my friends/relatives kazillions of times . Now Im just gonna do some practicing on writing, last year I thought I did well and I ended up with band 6 for writing =="

Just a few things I wanna share
__________________
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="4"][B][CENTER]hakuna matata[/CENTER][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #6275  
Old 04-01-2012, 23:10
shazam's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 12-2010
Posts: 4,643
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Just my 2 cents.
I do a little research and realize that perhaps the term "Department of Transport" with meaning "sở giao thông vận tải" and refers to travel, civil work...etc, is only used in our country (and some other non-English speaking countries).
How about U.S. Department of Transportation, UK Department for Transport, The Department of Infrastructure and Transport of Australian Government, The Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport of Government of Ireland ? So in this case, I think the translation should be more detailed such as Hanoi/Haiphong Department of Transport..(or Local Department for Transport if you don't want to point the office of a concrete province/city) to avoid getting confusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilln View Post
^
It IS department. I said I am working with Hanoi Department of Transport.

// and you guys should not misunderstand the word "transport" (refers to travel, civil work etc) with "transportation" (means carrying people or goods).
__________________
[B]First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.[/B]
[RIGHT][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

[/RIGHT]
Reply With Quote
  #6276  
Old 04-01-2012, 23:30
Chilln's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 12-2011
Posts: 2,197
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazam View Post
Just my 2 cents.
I do a little research and realize that perhaps the term "Department of Transport" with meaning "sở giao thông vận tải" and refers to travel, civil work...etc, is only used in our country (and some other non-English speaking countries).
How about U.S. Department of Transportation, UK Department for Transport, The Department of Infrastructure and Transport of Australian Government, The Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport of Government of Ireland ? So in this case, I think the translation should be more detailed such as Hanoi/Haiphong Department of Transport..(or Local Department for Transport if you don't want to point the office of a concrete province/city) to avoid getting confusion.
Sincerely I do not get your point.

I said the word "transport" may refer to travel and civil work etc, not the Department of Transport. And "to travel" means you move from a location to another one, not tourism.

The name, for example, Hanoi Department of Transport (of course, with the province's name in this) was changed not so long ago. At first it was Hanoi Transport And Urban Public Works Department. (Sở Giao thông Công chính) but then they did not want to take responsibility for the electricity and water part of the city so they changed name.

This department is responsible for transportation and communication work, roads, bridges, airports, seaports construction work (infrastructure) etc.

Now here, do not misunderstand this unit with traffic police. These two may cooperate but got nothing to do with each other. Years ago when I got my ass into the University of Transport and Communication, most of my friends told me that: "Don't you catch me if I pass the red light". Seriously, wtf? Who did they thought would construct the road for them to roll their vehicles on?
Reply With Quote
  #6277  
Old 04-01-2012, 23:39
Junior Member
Join Date: 09-2011
Posts: 28
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

My father works at BG Department of Transport, and i wanna tell my teacher about his job if i am asked. I know too few words to translate sth i want although they are what is his work, how he works ..etc..
Reply With Quote
  #6278  
Old 04-01-2012, 23:51
shazam's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: 12-2010
Posts: 4,643
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

^
^ Nah, I didn't get confused or misunderstand with what you've explained. My point is that "Department" standing alone (without the name of province) usually means "Bộ/Khoa...etc" and the term "Department of Transportation" is fine.
__________________
[B]First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.[/B]
[RIGHT][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

[/RIGHT]
Reply With Quote
  #6279  
Old 05-01-2012, 00:40
__TVD__'s Avatar
Member
Join Date: 07-2011
Posts: 92
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

i'm new member in this thread
first thinking when i join here is my english so bad
__________________
-Chúng ràng buộc dư luận, thi hành chính sách ngu dân
-Chúng đặt ra hàng trăm thứ thuế vô lý, làm cho dân ta, nhất là dân cày và dân buôn, trở nên bần cùng.
-Chúng không cho các nhà tư sản ta ngóc đầu lên.
[B]Trích Tuyên ngôn độc lập[/B]
Reply With Quote
  #6280  
Old 05-01-2012, 07:43
squallA's Avatar
Member
Join Date: 07-2006
Posts: 57
Re: Practicing English with vOzers :D

First thought, man (not first thinking).

7h03: Phone driving teacher, asking whether go to school. He says "fuking weather, I stay at home -.-" -> Hopeless...
7h30: Samsung monitor is black. Sign of death.... -> Worry, think to myself "what a fking morning"
7h40: The monitor returns from death... Like a zombie..

Last night, I could talk with the girl next door about the dream house. Really funny.
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 05:03.